What is Ginkgo Biloba Leaf Extract?
Codonopsis is a genus of flowering plant in the family Campanulaceae. As currently recognized, Codonopsis includes two other groups sometimes separated as distinct genera, i.e. Campanumoea and Leptocodon. The enlarged genus Codonopsis is widespread across eastern, southern, central, and southeastern Asia, including China, Japan, the Russian Far East, Kazakhstan, the Indian Subcontinent, Iran, Indochina, Indonesia, etc.
Health Benefits of Ginkgo Biloba Leaf Extract
Ginkgo Biloba’s natural health benefits have been recognized by practitioners of traditional medicine. They use health benefits to treat circulatory disorders and enhance memory. The health benefits of ginkgo Biloba are:
- Anxiety. Research shows that taking a specific ginkgo extract (EGb 761, Dr. Willmar Schwabe Pharmaceuticals) for 4 weeks can reduce symptoms of anxiety.
- Mental function. Although some conflicting evidence exists, most research suggests that ginkgo can slightly improve memory, speed of thinking, and attention in healthy adults. Doses of 120-240 mg per day seem to be as effective as or more effective than higher doses up to 600 mg per day. Some research has investigated the effects of ginkgo when used with other supplements. Some evidence suggests that taking ginkgo in combination with Panax ginseng or codonopsis can improve memory better than the individual ingredients alone. However, a specific combination of ginkgo and Panax ginseng (Gincosan, Pharmaton Natural Health Products) does not seem to improve mood or thinking in postmenopausal women. Also, taking a specific product containing ginkgo and brahmi (Blackmores Ginkgo Brahmi) does not seem to improve memory or problem solving in healthy adults.
- Dementia. Some evidence shows that taking ginkgo leaf extract by mouth modestly improves symptoms of Alzheimer’s, vascular, or mixed dementias. However, there are concerns that findings from many of the early ginkgo studies may not be reliable. Although most clinical trials show ginkgo helps for symptoms of Alzheimer’s disease and other dementias, there are some conflicting findings, suggesting it may be hard to determine which people might benefit.
Early research shows that taking a specific ginkgo leaf extract called EGb 761 (Dr. Willmar Schwabe Pharmaceuticals) daily for 22-24 weeks seems to be as effective as the drug donepezil (Aricept) for treating mild to moderate Alzheimer’s disease. But, other research suggests that ginkgo leaf extract might be less effective than the conventional drugs donepezil (Aricept) and tacrine (Cognex).
While ginkgo may help treat various types of dementia, ginkgo does not appear to help prevent dementia from developing.
- Vision problems in people with diabetes. There is some evidence that taking ginkgo leaf extract by mouth can improve color vision in people with retinal damage caused by diabetes.
- Vision loss (glaucoma). Taking ginkgo leaf extract by mouth for up to 12.3 years seems to improve pre-existing damage to the visual field in some people with normal tension glaucoma. However, conflicting research shows that ginkgo does not prevent glaucoma progression when taken for only 4 weeks.
- Leg pain when walking due to poor blood flow (peripheral vascular disease). Some evidence shows that taking ginkgo leaf extract increases the distance people with poor blood circulation in their legs can walk without pain. Taking ginkgo might also reduce the chance of requiring surgery. However, people with this condition may need to take ginkgo for at least 24 weeks before they see improvement.
- Premenstrual syndrome (PMS). Taking ginkgo leaf extract by mouth seems to relieve breast tenderness and other symptoms associated with PMS when started during the 16th day of the menstrual cycle and continued until the 5th day of the following cycle.
- Schizophrenia. Research shows that taking ginkgo daily in addition to conventional antipsychotic medications can reduce symptoms of schizophrenia. It may also reduce adverse effects associated with the antipsychotic medication, haloperidol.
- A movement disorder called tardive dyskinesia. Tardive dyskinesia is a movement disorder that is caused by certain antipsychotic drugs. Research shows that taking a specific ginkgo extract (EGb 761, Yi Kang Ning, Yang Zi Jiang Pharmaceuticals Ltd., Jiangsu, China) can reduce the severity of tardive dyskinesia symptoms in people with schizophrenia who are taking antipsychotic drugs.
- Vertigo and dizziness. Taking ginkgo leaf extract by mouth seems to improve symptoms of dizziness and balance disorders.
Dosage of Ginkgo Biloba Leaf Extract
- For anxiety: 80 mg or 160 mg of a ginkgo leaf extract called EGb 761 has been taken three times per day for 4 weeks.
- For dementia: a dosage of 120-240 mg per day of ginkgo leaf extract (EGb 761), divided in two or three doses.
- For retinal damage caused by diabetes: 120 mg of a ginkgo leaf extract called EGb 761 has been taken daily for 6 months.
- For improving mental function: single doses of 240-600 mg of ginkgo extract have been used. A Ginkgo Biloba Leaf Extract called EGb 761 has been taken in a dosage of 120-240 mg per day for 4 weeks to 4 months. A Ginkgo Biloba Leaf Extract called LI 1370 has been taken in a dosage of 120-300 mg for two days. Also, a combination product containing Ginkgo Biloba Leaf Extract and Panax ginseng (Ginkoba M/E) has been taken in a dosage of 60-360 mg for 12 weeks.
- For walking pain due to poor circulation (claudication, peripheral vascular disease): a dosage of 120-240 mg per day of Ginkgo Biloba Leaf Extract (EGb 761), divided into two or three doses, has been used for up to 6.1 years. The higher dose may be more effective.
- For vertigo: 160 mg of a Ginkgo Biloba Leaf Extract called EGb 761 has been taken once daily or in two divided doses daily for 3 months.
- For premenstrual syndrome (PMS): 80 mg of a Ginkgo Biloba Leaf Extract called EGb 761 has been taken twice daily, starting on the sixteenth day of the menstrual cycle until the fifth day of the next cycle. Also 40 mg of a ginkgo leaf extract called Ginko T.D. has been taken three times daily starting on the sixteenth day of the menstrual cycle until the fifth day of the next cycle.
- For the treatment of glaucoma: 120 to 160 mg of ginkgo leaf extract has been taken in two or three divided doses per day for up to 12.3 years.
- For schizophrenia: 120-360 mg of a ginkgo leaf extract called EGb 761 (Yi Kang Ning, Yang Zi Jiang Pharmaceuticals Ltd., Jiangsu, China) has been used daily for 8-16 weeks.
- For tardive dyskinesia: 80 mg of a ginkgo leaf extract called EGb 761, three times daily for 12 weeks, has been used.
For all uses, start at a lower dose of not more than 120 mg per day to avoid gastrointestinal (GI) side effects. Increase to higher doses indicated as needed. Dosing may vary depending on the specific formulation used. Most researchers used specific standardized Ginkgo Biloba Leaf Extract. Some people take 0.5 mL of a standard 1:5 tincture of the crude ginkgo leaf three times daily.
Certificate of Analysis
Total Flavone Glycosides≥24%
Total Terpene Lactones≥6%
|Appearance||Yellowish brown powder||N/A||Complies|
|Particle size||100% pass 80 mesh||USP32<786>||Complies|
|Loss on Drying||≤5.0%||Eur.Ph.6.0[2.8.17]||Complies|
|Solvents Residue||Meet Eur.Ph6.0<5.4>||Eur.Ph 6.0<2.4.24>||Complies|
|Total bacterial count||≤1000cfu/g||USP30<61>||Complies|
|Yeast & mold||≤100cfu/g||USP30<61>||Complies|
Flowchart of Production
Package for Ginkgo Biloba Leaf Extract
Shipping for Ginkgo Biloba Leaf Extract
- By Express: Suitable for under 50kg, 5-10 days
- By Air: Suitable for more than 50kg, 7-15 days
- By Sea: Suitable for more than 500kg, 15-45days
Why Choose FYZ Ginkgo Biloba Leaf Extract?
- FYZ is a professional Ginkgo Biloba Leaf Extract manufacturer in China, provides OEM service.
- FREE SAMPLE with freight collection (5-10g) for detection, if you need more, please contact us.
- Fast delivery by DHL/FedEx, air as your requirement.
- All of our products from nature, no additive.
- Money refund policy.